Difference between e-ticket and i-ticket
What is the difference between e-ticket and i-ticket?Wondering what the difference is between the e-ticket and i-ticket options available at the IRCTC website? Indian Railways has emerged as a front-runner in providing quality travel services to India's population of more than a million. They have not hesitated in offering state-of-the-art services to customers such as online checking, booking and reservation facilities. The online railway booking portal of Indian Railways offers comfortable travel options and the journey begins from the click of a mouse at your home. So what is all this noise about the e-ticket and i-ticket? We tell you all.
i-ticketFor those who are short of time and travel frequently, i-tickets have come as a boon. You can book i-ticket through the internet ticket-booking facility available at the IRCTC website. IRCTC has developed a user-friendly website where one can register and check the availability of tickets. The process of booking i-ticket has been kept simple to help people from all walks of life utilize this facility.
- The ticket is delivered at your doorsteps and you need a copy of a voter's ID card, passport or ration card to validate the address once the ticket reaches your address.
- The i-ticket needs to be booked three to four days prior to the travel date.
- The railway charges a minimal service amount and one can pay online through credit and debit cards.
- In case you wish to cancel the ticket, it cannot be done online and you need to visit the reservation counter.
- You can book an i-ticket from the IRCTC website.
e-ticketThe popularity of an e-ticket can be gauged from the fact that it accounts for 98 percent of online rail reservations today. The primary reason behind this raging popularity of the e-ticket is its user-friendly approach. Working professionals who are constantly on the move benefit tremendously from this facility. They can book the ticket while travelling and only need a valid identification document to authenticate their identity during the journey.
- The ticket is delivered to you in the form of an email that you have to print. The railway authorities also sms your ticket. You simply need to show either the sms or a printout of the email to the TT. You are also required to carry identification proof such as voter's ID card, passport or ration card.
- e-ticket can be booked any time prior to the preparation of departure chart of the train and tatkal service of the Indian Railways comes within the preview of this service.
- No extra charges apply.
- In case you wish to cancel the ticket for any reason, the same can be done prior to preparation of the departure chart of the train. The cancellation can be done online and the amount is credited back to your account. The refunding process is extremely fast if the booking has been done through the online reservation portal of the Indian Railways.
- You can search for availability of train e-tickets on ixigo and book on IRCTC once you have been redirected.