Take a look at these 11 incredible facts about the Great Barrier Reef and plan your next vacation to this amazing destination in Australia.
1. The largest living structure on earth, the Great Barrier Reef is even visible from space. Interesting, isn’t it?
2. The Great Barrier Reef is home to some 24 pristine beaches which are ideal for watersports (scuba diving, snorkelling), leisurely strolls or just lazing around.
3. Do you know the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park is bigger than the combined area of Switzerland, Holland and even United Kingdom. Phew!
4. Want to stay at the Great Barrier Reef? Well, the place has a number of luxurious resorts which are perfect getaways for a relaxed vacation. Some of the famous ones include Great Island Resort, Lizard Island Resort and Hayman Island Resorts.
5. Can you believe that the place has more than 900 islands which stretch for more than 2,600 km.
6. About 10 percent of the total fish in the world can be found within the Great Barrier Reef itself. Amazing!
8. Owing to its natural beauty and geographic position, the Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. .
9. Touted as the world’s biggest reef system, a trip to Australia is incomplete without visiting this place. It also has the distinction of having the largest collection of corals, with over 400 beautiful varieties.
10. A World Heritage Site, the Great Barrier Reef is also easily accessible from any part of the globe. It runs parallel to the Queensland Coast and is at a short distance from Bundaberg.
11. Want to play golf even in this part of the globe? Head to Whitsunday Islands to enjoy a game with your friends. Whitsunday is the only island championship golf course in Australia.
Some Factual Tidbits
Best time to visit: August to November
Best time to book flights: It is recommended to book your flights one or two months prior to your journey.
Number of Days to spend here: Plan a 3 to 4 days trip here to know about the place.
Approx. budget per person: The nearest airport to the Great Barrier Reef is Hamilton Island. The approximate budget per person for a trip here would be around INR 2 lakhs including airfare and stay.
We are sure that you can’t resist a trip here after reading these 11 incredible facts about the Great Barrier Reef! Don’t forget to share your experience with us. Till then happy travelling!