The total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus has crossed 9000 in India. The latest figures from the Union Health Ministry confirmed that 909 new cases were reported in the last 24 hours.
The death toll has risen to 273, and more than 800 patients have recovered successfully.
Amongst the states, Maharashtra remains the worst affected state with 1982 cases. Delhi is second at 1154, followed by Tamil Nadu (1075), Rajasthan (804) and Telangana (531).
Key highlights from across India:
- The government is focusing on expanding the testing capacity in both government and private medical colleges across the country.
- The Centre has requested all states to take welfare measures including food, shelter, medicine, video call facilities, among others.
- Wearing a mask in public places has now become mandatory in Gujarat, Haryana and West Bengal.
- Delhi has identified 43 containment zones and is conducting massive disinfectant drives.
- After assessing domestic requirement and keeping the buffer, the government has approved the release of Hydroxychloroquine for 13 countries.