From time-to-time, Indian Railways have introduced various facilities for senior citizens. From ticket fare concessions to reserved seats, railways have always showed their respect for the elderly. As per the new IRCTC rules, senior citizens can now avail up to 50% concession on their Indian Railways train bookings.
Here’s what a senior citizen should know before booking a train ticket and the benefits they can avail–
1. To avail concessions, age limit for male senior citizens is minimum 60 years and for female citizens it is minimum 58 years.
2. Concessions will be provided on the base fare of all trains including premium trains like Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains.
3. No age proof will be required at the time of booking however, commuters have to carry documentary proof of their age i.e., a Pan Card or an Aadhaar Card.
4. A provision in the PRS (Passenger Reservation System) automatically allots lower berth seats to those above 45 years of age.
5. 6 lower berths in sleeper class, 3 lower berths in AC 3 tier and 2 tier are earmarked for senior citizens, female passengers and pregnant women.
6. Wheelchairs are available at stations for senior citizens.
7. To avail all these benefits, senior citizens should link their Aadhaar number with IRCTC.