Built in honour of our freedom fighter and India’s first Home Minister, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India proudly unveiled the ‘Statue of Unity’, yesterday.
It is the world’s tallest statue at 182 meters and stands on Sadhu island on the Narmada in Gujarat.
Here are the five things that make the Statue of Unity truly magnificent:
1. The statue is four times taller than the Statue of Liberty in the US and 177 feet higher than China’s Spring Temple Buddha. WOW!
2. It took over 3,000 workers that included 300 engineers from Larsen & Toubro to build this magnificent structure within three-and-a-half years. That’s record time!
3. Changing its colour from the original bronze, the Statue of Unity will turn green in 100 years because of the natural ageing process (oxidation).
4. This mammoth structure can withstand earthquakes and wind speed up to around 100 km/second.
5. Offering a panoramic view of the Sardar Sarovar Dam, and the Satpura and Vindhyachal mountain ranges, the Statue of Unity has a viewing gallery at 153 metres.
6. This statue is also home to a museum, a 3-star lodging facility, a food court, a memorial garden and an impressive museum.
7. Around 129 tonnes of iron implements were obtained from nearly 100 million farmers in 169,000 villages across all states for the statue.
Picture credits: theguardian.com