Set amidst the sand dunes of the great Thar Desert with vibrant colours everywhere and folk music playing in the background, Jaisalmer Desert Festival is all of this and more.
The Jaisalmer Desert Festival is an annual winter event organised by the Rajasthan Tourism Department that focuses on showcasing the rich and vibrant culture of the state. Set against the backdrop of the Jaisalmer Fort, Jaisalmer city and the Thar Desert truly come alive during the this Festival!
Planning a trip? Book tickets here:Search Flights
The locals are dressed in colourful attires, camels are beautifully decked up and there is dance and music everywhere. Jaisalmer Desert Festival is truly a tourist’s delight as it promises unique activities like musical performances and beauty pageants. There are also exciting competitions such as camel polo, cricket and more.
Dates: 7-9 February 2020
Highlights of the Jaisalmer Desert Festival
1. For the tourists, the Gair and fire dance are the main attractions. Apart from that, the camel race is a delight to watch.
2. Adventure lovers can opt for camel polo. Additionally, if you wish to explore the sand dunes of the Thar Desert and watch stunning landscape views, the desert safari is a must!
3. Several interesting competitions are held at the Jaisalmer Desert Festival that depicts the incredible culture of Rajasthan. These include the turban tying contest, longest moustache contest and the Mrs and Mr Desert pageant.
4. Of course, when in Rajasthan, the food is delicious everywhere. All the food lovers must try the traditional Rajasthani cuisine at the local dhabas.
5. For shoppers, there is a wide variety of intricate handicrafts, handloom textiles, home decor artefacts and all of these are created by the local artisans. Rajasthan is known for its handicrafts and shopping here is certainly not a disappointment.
6. Lastly, the highlight of the festival is the last day which is on a full moon night. The locals present a music concert that is truly mesmerising.
So, what are you waiting for? Head to Jaisalmer now to experience the extraordinary culture of Rajasthan.