Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe will lay the foundation stone for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR) project at the athletics ground near Sabarmati Railway Station tomorrow- 14th September, 2017.
Check out the new logo for bullet train..
- This project is a joint venture between Indian Railways and Japanese firm Shinkansen Technology where Japan will fund 81% of the entire project in soft loans at a negligible interest rate of 0.1%, with a repayment period of 50 years.
- The new bullet train will have a capacity to carry 750 passengers.
- While the bullet train was designed to run at a maximum speed of 350 km/h, it is expected to run at an average speed of 250 km/h which is more than double the speed of the fastest train in India.
- New Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said that the new bullet train would start running between Mumbai and Ahmedabad on August 15, 2022, when India completes 75 years of independence.
- The bullet train will connect Mumbai and Ahmedabad by a total of 12 stations. The train will stop at Mumbai, Thane, Virar, Boisar, Vapi, Bilimora, Surat, Bharuch, Vadodara, Anand, Ahmedabad, and Sabarmati stations.
- Currently, a train journey between Mumbai and Ahmedabad takes between 7-8 hours. But now, the travel time will be reduced to a little over three hours if it stops at all stations and around two hours if it stops only at four stations.