India on Sunday got together to support Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call for switching off lights for 9 minutes at 9 pm.
Indians across the country stood at their doors and balconies lighting candles, diyas and mobile flashlights – a symbolic act against the darkness spread due to the rising cases of coronavirus.
Many people also recited prayers, burst crackers and blew conch shells.
PM Modi too lighted a diya at his residence.
The Indian government is taking various steps to fight coronavirus.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has worked on a rapid antibody-based blood test for COVID-19, which will first be deployed in hotspot areas.
- The government has prepared nearly 29000 ICU beds, 15000 ventilators, 65000 N95 masks and 295000 PPEs.
- The Indian government has launched apps such as Aarogya Setu to help track coronavirus infections.
- Domestic manufacturing of personal protection equipment has increased to better aid healthcare workers.
- Various government and private organisations, especially automobile companies, are utilising their facilities to make more ventilators.