The second phase of India’s COVID-19 vaccination drive began yesterday, as citizens who are above 60 years of age, and those above 45 years and suffering from comorbidities became eligible to receive the vaccine.
Currently, it can only be received via advance self-registration on the CoWIN 2.0 web portal (cowin.gov.in) or using the Aarogya Setu app. You are not required to download the CoWIN app to sign up, as it is only meant for administrators.
6 things to know before registering on the portal
> The vaccine will be administered for free at government facilities, and for a charge (up to Rs 250 per dose) at private hospitals.
> Two doses of the vaccine are required. Both doses will be booked at the same centre, and the second dose will be automatically booked 28 days from the date of your first dose. If you cancel the appointment for your first dose, the second one will also be cancelled.
> If you’re between 45-59 years old (or will attain this age by January 1, 2022) and want to be vaccinated, you must have one of these 20 comorbidities. You also need a comorbidity certificate signed by a medical practitioner, which has to be uploaded onto the portal.
> Eligible persons can register on CoWIN 2.0 using their mobile number. One number can register up to four beneficiaries. Every beneficiary must have their own photo ID, which can be an Aadhaar Card/Letter, an Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC), an Indian Passport, a Driving Licence, a PAN Card, an NPR Smart Card or a Pension Document with photograph. This ID’s number is submitted on the portal, and the same one must be carried on the appointment date.
> Centres will only administer the vaccine between 9 am and 3 pm on your assigned dates.
> You can find your nearest vaccination centre by typing in your location beside the map on CoWIN 2.0’s home page. Another option is to check centre lists here.
How to register for the vaccine on CoWIN 2.0
The process is divided into four parts: registration, selecting your vaccination centre, scheduling and confirmation, and showing up on your allotted dates to receive the vaccine.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Go to cowin.gov.in, and enter a valid mobile number for OTP verification. Once you get the SMS, enter it onto the page and click ‘Verify’.
- A vaccine registration page will appear. Select your desired photo ID from the dropdown menu, and type in all required details. Click on ‘Register’.
- A green confirmation message will appear if the registration was successful, and you will be led to the ‘Account Details’ page.
- Here, you can click on ‘Add More’ to register up to three more beneficiaries for the vaccine. All four individuals will be linked to the same mobile number.
- Fill in their details in the same manner as before, and click on ‘Add’. Each new beneficiary will receive a separate confirmation message. To delete a beneficiary, you can click the trash can icon beside their name. Each deletion will have a confirmation message.
- Once all beneficiaries are added, click on the ‘Schedule Appointment’ button on the ‘Account Details’ page. You will be led to a new page called ‘Book Appointment for Vaccination’.
- Select your desired centre by choosing your state/UT, district, block, and pin code from the dropdown menus. Click on ‘Search’.
- A list of vaccination centres will be displayed. Clicking on any centre’s name will show you their available slots (date and capacity).
- Choose your desired appointment slot, and click on ‘Book’. This will take you to the ‘Appointment Confirmation’ page.
- Verify all your details (centre, date, name filled as on photo ID), and click on ‘Confirm’. An ‘Appointment Successful’ message should appear with your details, which you can download. A confirmation SMS will also be sent to your mobile number.
- On the day of your vaccination, arrive at the centre with your confirmation details.
- After you receive your first dose, an appointment will automatically be scheduled for you to receive the second dose at the same centre 28 days later.
How to register for the vaccine on Aarogya Setu
- Open the Aarogya Setu app, and click on the ‘CoWIN’ tab on the home screen.
- Go to ‘Vaccination’ > ‘Register Now’ and complete OTP verification.
- You will then be directed to the vaccine registration page on cowin.gov.in. Simply follow the steps mentioned earlier, and complete your registration.
Can you reschedule your vaccination slot?
Yes, you can. To reschedule an appointment, close the Co-WIN 2.0 portal and login using a new OTP. Go to the ‘Account Details’ page and click on the calendar icon beside a beneficiary’s name under the ‘Action’ column. This will redirect you to the ‘Book Appointment for Vaccination’ page where you can select a new date and centre.
Once all details are confirmed, click on ‘Book’ to reschedule, and then ‘Confirm’ to see the confirmation page with the ‘Appointment Successful’ message.
This is useful if you’ve moved to a different city before receiving your second dose, as the portal allows you to choose a new centre in your new location to complete the vaccination schedule.
What should you do if you experience side-effects?
Minor reactions such as fever and rashes are expected after taking a vaccine. If you have a severe adverse reaction to it, immediately inform your doctor and the vaccination centre from where you received your first dose. They will chart out a treatment plan based on your symptoms.
Where can you get the vaccination certificate?
Upon successfully receiving two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, visit selfregistration.cowin.gov.in/vaccination-certificate. Enter your reference ID under ‘Beneficiary Details’, and you will be given a copy of your vaccination certificate.
This is a developing story, and will be updated if the Government of India declares any important changes for the vaccination drive.