The Habibganj railway station is India’s first to be reconstructed on the lines of Germany’s Heidelberg railway station. The Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation (IRSDC) has undertaken the redevelopment work and it is likely to be completed by December-end this year.
The redevelopment will cost around Rs.100 crore, while Rs.350 crore will be spent on commercial development.
SK Lohia, IRSDC MD and CEO, said, “I believe the Habibganj railway station will be completely redeveloped and ready by December-end 2019. The work on the new concourse took more time than we expected due to the requirement of several clearances. But, I am hopeful that by December-end we will be able to complete work on this world-class station.”
Need train bookings for August long weekend? Click below:Book Trains
Here are the key features of the station:
1. The entrance of Habibganj railway station will have a glass dome-like structure.
2. The station will have decongested platforms along with exit underpass for travellers de-boarding the trains.
3. The wastewater will be treated for reuse and it will be a ‘green building’ with LED lighting.
4. Like an airport, the station will have a dedicated concourse with retail outlets and cafeterias.
5. The eastern side of the station will have plush hotels, hospitals, spas and a convention centre outside.
6. The travellers will be able to enjoy amenities like modern clean toilets, world-class interiors, plush waiting lounge, museums, gaming area and much more.