1) Indian Railways is the largest rail network in all of Asia, carrying 23 million people everyday.
2) The first passenger train in India started on Aug 15, 1854, from Howrah to Hooghly.
3) Indian Railways has a mascot, named Bholu, the elephant.
4) Employing more than 1.4 million employees, Indian Railways is the ninth largest commercial employer in the world.
5) The Fairy Queen, built in 1855, has been certified by the Guinness Book of World Records to be the oldest working Steam Locomotive in the world.
6) With a length of 4.62 km, Vembanad Rail Bridge in Kerala is the longest rail bridge in India.
7) The New Delhi railway station has secured itself a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the world’s largest Route Relay Interlocking System.
8) The Chenab Railway bridge in Jammu and Kashmir is the one of the highest rail bridges in the world, standing at a height of almost 5 times the Qutub Minar.
9) Moving at a speed of 10 kmph, the Mettupalayam Ooty passenger train is the slowest train in India.
10) India’s deadliest train disaster happened in 1981 when a passenger train fell into the Bagmati river killing 800 people.