The serene mountains are calling…and you must go!
Thinking of planning a mountain vacation this summer? We recommend you to save time and fly to one of these 8 hill stations with airports in India.
Attention! These 8 destinations will leave you amazed with its natural beauty.
- Leh: Famous for its sweeping scenic beauty
- Dharamshala: Known for a serene vacation
- Shimla: Hop on the Shimla toy train
- Shillong: A food lover’s paradise
- Kasol: Trek to Kheerganga
- Manali: Go for rafting in Beas river
- Mussoorie: Known for its ethereal landscape
- Gulmarg: Enjoy a shikara ride
Located in the Himalayan range of Jammu and Kashmir, Leh is a fallen piece of heaven on earth. This amazing destination is home to sweeping scenic beauty, trekking trails, gorgeous skies, awesome weather, sparkling blue lakes, vibrant and indigenous festivals, and stark grey mountains. The snowy surroundings will surely bring out the photographer in you!
- Top 5 Attractions: Nubra Valley, Thiksey Monastery, Leh Palace, Magnet Hill, and Shanti Stupa
- Nearest Airport: Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport, 2.5 km from Leh; direct flights from Delhi and Mumbai.
One of the most gorgeous hill stations that lie in the Himalayas, Dharamshala will surely mesmerize you! Set in the backdrop of the Dhauladhar Mountains, Dharamshala is a lovely hill station perched on the slopes of Kangra Valley. Adventure sports, peaceful environment, sumptuous food, and Tibetan culture is all that Dharamshala calls for.
- Top 5 Attractions: Tsuglagkhang Complex Dalai Lama Temple, Namgyal Monastery, The Tibet Museum, Kangra Valley, and Dal Lake.
- Nearest Airport: Kangra Airport, 12 km from Dharamshala; direct flights from Delhi
Shimla, the summer capital of British India, boasts of old-world charm and picturesque natural beauty. Winters here are supposed to be more lucrative as the temperature drops down drastically and one can enjoy the beauty of snowfall. Frame a 3-4 day itinerary for Shimla to explore its beauty and cherish the local flavours to the hilt.
- Top 5 Attractions: The Kalka–Shimla Railway, Jakhoo Temple, The Ridge Road, Mall Road, and Rashtrapati Niwas.
- Nearest Airport: Shimla Airport, 22 km from the city; direct flights from Delhi.
Regarded as the ‘Scotland of the East’, due to its distinct similarity with the Scottish highlands, it is one of the spellbinding hill stations in India. Shillong is famous for its captivating beauty, magnificent waterfalls, historical buildings, great weather, and hand-woven shawls. The capital of Meghalaya is also home to a tribal community of Khasis.
- Top 5 Attractions: Umiam Lake, Ward’s Lake, Shillong View Point, Laitkor Peak, and Don Bosco Museum.
- Nearest Airport: Shillong Airport, also known as Umroi Airport is situated 30 km from Shillong. It has good connectivity with several major cities of the country.
There are several places to visit in the country, but nothing can beat the charm of Kasol. A hippie’s paradise, it is also popularly known as ‘The Amsterdam of India’. Don’t forget to attend the all-night hippie parties right next to the famous Parvati River. It is something you definitely shouldn’t miss. This little hamlet is a perfect getaway from the hectic and stressful life of a metropolitan city.
- Top 5 Attractions: Chalal Trek Trail, Gurudwara Shri Manikaran Sahib, Hot Water Spring, Bridge for Chalal Trek and Raghunath Mandir.
- Nearest Airport: Bhuntar Airport, 31 km from Kasol; direct flights from Delhi.
Manali is a dreamy destination for people of all age groups. It is flocked by tourists all throughout the year from every part of the world. For all the adventure enthusiasts, there are several things to do in Manali like skiing, hiking, mountaineering, paragliding, rafting, trekking, kayaking, and mountain biking. And to top it all, this amazing destination is a must-visit for honeymooners.
- Top 5 Attractions: Hidimba Devi Temple, Manu Temple, Manali Sanctuary, Mall Road and Van Vihar
- Nearest Airport: Kullu–Manali Airport, 52 km Manali; direct flights from Delhi
The Queen of Hills, Mussoorie stands at an elevation of 6,580 ft from the sea level. With its close proximity to Delhi, it is the most frequently visited tourist destination from the capital. Surrounded by beautiful scenery at every step, Mussoorie is one hill station that feeds the soul of every peace-loving traveller.
- Top 5 Attractions: Mussoorie Lake, Camels Back Road, Lal Tibba Scenic Point, Gunhill Road, and Mall Road
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, 54 km from Mussoorie; direct flights from Delhi
The last on this list is the epitome of natural splendour. Not to forget, this place has the most beautiful vicinity with snowy mountains. The astonishing beauty of Gulmarg leaves an unbreakable spell upon its visitors. Aptly called “Heaven on Earth”, Gulmarg has been blessed with such a beauty that it leaves a soul-stirring experience for the visitors.
- Top Attractions: Gulmarg Gondola, Khilanmarg, Ningle Nallah, Apharwat Peak and Alpather Lake
- Nearest Airport: Srinagar Airport, 56 km from Gulmarg; direct flights from Delhi, Mumbai, Amritsar, and Bangalore
What are you waiting for? Tighten your seat belts and fly to one of these 8 hill stations with airports in India.