The total number of COVID-19 positive cases in the country has crossed 90000. The number of active cases is at 53,946 and nearly 34,109 are cured/discharged/migrated cases.
Here are some important updates from across the country:
- The health ministry confirmed that India witnessed the highest ever spike of 4987 COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours.
- Due to the sharp rise in coronavirus cases, Maharashtra has extended the lockdown till May 31.
- Maharashtra remains the worst affected state as the total number of coronavirus cases cross 30000.
- Tamil Nadu and Gujarat have crossed the 10000-mark of confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- Several states such as Punjab, Tamil Nadu have opted for an extension of lockdown with some relaxations.
- More than 70% of India’s COVID-19 cases are from 30 municipal areas which will face stricter measures in Lockdown 4.0. These areas are spread across 12 states and their names are expected to be announced today.
- Today is the last day of Lockdown 3.0. Government is expected to announce some ease in the next phase of the nationwide lockdown.
- The central government has launched an online system to monitor and facilitate the smooth movement of migrant workers.