Train journeys are about to get a lot more enjoyable, as the Indian Railways is introducing a new ‘AC Economy’ class for its mail and express trains.
With fares to be lower than the current AC 3-tier, but higher than the non-AC Sleeper class, the new coaches will become the entry-level option for AC train travel across the country.
Pay ₹0 Payment Gateway Fees on your first train booking with ixigo:
Despite Covid-19 restrictions affecting production in workshops, Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala rolls out 15 coaches of 3 Tier AC Economy class with updated design, divyangjan friendly doors & toilets, with a plan to produce 248 such coaches this fiscal. pic.twitter.com/CFijKEVWdl
— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) June 2, 2021
Let’s take a look at what passengers can expect:
- Each coach will have 83 berths instead of the 72 seen in AC 3-tier, which increases passenger capacity.
- Each berth will have its own AC vent, along with individual reading lights and mobile charging points.
- Foldable snack tables and holders for bottles/magazines/mobile phones have been fitted in each compartment.
- Passengers taking the middle and upper berths will be able to enjoy more headroom, with redesigned ladders for easier climbing.
- The coach is disabled-friendly, with wheelchair access to the entrance and compartments. The toilets are also built keeping their needs in mind, as per AIC (Accessible India Campaign) norms.
The official name and launch date of the AC Economy class is yet to be decided, but media reports suggest that it could be ‘3E’. Reports also state that 27 of these coaches have already been distributed across various railway zones, notably for Duronto trains run by the Western Railway.
The Railway Board is currently in the process of deciding the final fares for these coaches. Once the first list of trains with this class opens for bookings, we will share the news with you.
Until then, stay tuned to ixigo!