The Dhola-Sadiya bridge inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday is more epic than it sounds. We have listed out some of the highlights of the bridge that will leave you intrigued.
1) The three-lane bridge is 9.15 kilometre long and connects Dhola in Assam with Sadiya in Arunachal Pradesh.
2) It is now India’s longest river bridge; taking the second spot is the Bandra-Worli sealink.
3) Government claims, this will reduce fuel expenditure worth Rs. 10 lakh per day.
4) The bridge is built over river Lohit, which is a tributary of Brahmaputra and the only way to cross it was using a ferry and that too during the day time.
5) It will cut down travel time from Assam to Arunachal Pradesh by 5 hours.
6) All of its 182 piers are equipped with seismic buffers that will reduce earthquake-induced load against the structures.
7) The total cost of building the bridge is Rs. 2,056 crore.
8) The bridge will improve connectivity to remote areas, thereby triggering economic development.
9) It is expected to up India’s defence capabilities in the North-Eastern region.
10) It will make hydro power projects easier as it will become the go-to route for project developers.
Time for a trip?