Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the 21-day nationwide lockdown, which was scheduled to end today, will be extended till 3rd May 2020.
The decision was taken after PM Modi had a virtual meeting with the Chief Ministers of several states. This comes after coronavirus cases in India doubled to over 10,000 in 6 days.
PM Modi seeks ‘saat baaton mein saath’ (support in 7 things):
1) Take special care of the elderly, especially those who have pre-existing health conditions
2) Maintain social distancing
3) Follow Ayush Ministry’s advisory to increase the immunity
4) Download Aarogya Setu (mobile app)
5) Help and take care of the poor
6) Do not sack any employee from the organisation, show empathy towards them
7) Have respect for corona fighters like police, doctors and also those involved in cleaning
PM Modi also announced that areas not affected by coronavirus will be given relaxations. Daily wage workers will be provided help by the government.