Okay, now when you have already met thousands of people telling you that there’s nothing much to India other than some ravishing forts, snake charmers and lakhs of temples, check our pick for the top 30 things to do in India. Our list consists of a motley mix of things to do in India, picking the very best of adventure, culture, food, landscapes and more. Enjoy!
1. Gulmarg Gondola Ride, J&K – The Second Highest Cable Ride In The World
Photo Courtesy – Skywayman9
Paragliding at Bir and Billing, Himachal Pradesh
3. Meditation by River Ganga, Rishikesh
4. Stargazing at the Indian Astronomical Observatory, Hanle (Ladakh)
5. Exploring the Kerala backwaters in a houseboat
6. Participating in Urs at the Dargah of Khwaja Muin-ud-din Chishti, Ajmer
7. Trekking on the frozen river, the Chadar Trek, J&K
8. Rounds of gol gappes at Bengali Market, Delhi
9. Trekking to the Valley of Flowers, Uttarakhand
11. Visiting the saffron farms at Pampore, Kashmir
12. Fix a rendezvous with rhinoceroses at Kaziranga National Park, Assam
13. Volunteer at world’s largest free eatery at the Golden Temple, Amritsar
14. Participate in the Hornbill Festival, Nagaland
15. Test your skills at the International Kite Festival, Ahmedabad
16. Indulge in shopping at Dilli Haat, Delhi, one of the world’s top 5 street markets!
17. Visit Bhangarh Fort, Rajasthan, India’s Most Haunted!
18. Watch the Sun rise at Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu
19. Visit Taj Mahal, Agra, on a full moon night!
20. Visit world’s largest salt desert at the Rann of Kutch, Gujarat
21. Watch out for Snow Leopards at the Hemis National Park, Ladakh, J&K
22. Go snorkelling with Rajan, an elephant(!), at Andamans*
23. Visit the 500 plus years old mummy at Giu, Spiti
24. Participate in the Kumbh Mela, world’s biggest religious gathering, at Haridwar, Uttarakhand
25. Watch a Kattaikkuttu performance at Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu
26. Watch or enroll for a session of Kalaripayattu at Thiruvananthpuram, Kerala
27. Camping at the Nubra Valley sand dunes, Ladakh
28. Go on a food trail across India!
29. Watch an exorcism session at Mehendipur Balaji Temple, Rajasthan!
30. Skiing at Auli, Uttarakhand
For those who are done with all the 30 above, here’s a bonus one!
31. Skydiving at Mysore
While you jot down a wish-list for yourself from these amazing things to do in India, do tell us how many of these are already marked off your list. Would love to hear your experiences and suggestions for more.
Till then, happy travelling.
About the author
*A reader informs us that snorkeling with the elephants at Andamans has stopped, since most of the elephants have now retired. Will suggest the readers to make an enquiry before planning this adventure into their trip.