IndiGo Airlines, also called Indigo Air, GoIndigo, or simply IndiGo is a budget airline based at the Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi and has its head office in Gurgaon. This budget carrier also has hubs at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai and Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata. The airline commenced operations on 4th August, 2006 by operating a flight from Delhi to Imphal. This rapidly growing low cost airline is owned by InterGlobe Enterprises, a Gurgaon based company operating in the travel and aviation sector for about 20 years. Industry stalwarts like Rakesh Gangwal, Rahul Bhatia, and Bruce Ashby are part of the IndiGo brand. Mr Ashby, the Chief Executive Officer of the airline was the Executive vice President of US Airways.
Here is a list of the domestic destinations served by IndiGo Airlines.
• Andhra Pradesh
• Hyderabad - Rajiv Gandhi International Airport
• Guwahati - Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport
• Dibrugarh - Dibrugarh Airport
• Patna - Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport
• Raipur - Raipur Airport
• Indira Gandhi International Airport
• Vasco da Gama - Dabolim Airport
• Ahmedabad - Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport
• Vadodara - Vadodara Airport
• Jammu and Kashmir
• Jammu - Jammu Airport
• Srinagar - Srinagar Airport
• Bangalore - Bengaluru International Airport
• Kochi - Cochin International Airport
• Thiruvananthapuram - Trivandrum International Airport
• Mumbai - Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
• Nagpur - Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport
• Pune - Pune International Airport
• Imphal - Imphal Airport
• Bhubaneswar - Biju Patnaik Airport
• Jaipur - Jaipur International Airport
• Tamil Nadu
• Chennai - Chennai International Airport
• Coimbatore - Coimbatore Airport
• Agartala - Agartala Airport
• Uttar Pradesh
• Lucknow - Amausi Airport
• West Bengal
• Kolkata - Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport
IndiGo also plans to serve destinations in the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and South West Asia. The airline has already obtained permission for the same from the civil aviation ministry. Before flying on international routes, airlines are required to put in five years of service in the domestic circuit, and IndiGo Airlines would be completing this time frame in August 2011. The destinations expected to be covered include Muscat, Dubai, Bangkok, and Singapore.
Indigo Airlines has a young fleet of about 40 A320 aircrafts. In the 2005 Paris Air Show, the airline placed an order for about 100 A320 aircrafts. This order was worth approximately US$6 billion and is scheduled to be delivered by 2016. On 11th January, 2011, the airline also inked a Memorandum of Understanding for 180 Airbus A320s, which includes 150 A320 New Engine Option (NEO) aircrafts. It is the largest such order in the history of commercial aviation and is expected to be delivered from 2016 to 2025.
IndiGo Airlines entitles every paying passenger to a free check-in baggage of 20 kg. Baggage exceeding this weight limit is charged Rs 100 per kg per sector. Infants do not get any checked baggage allowance. The airline can deny permission for the carriage items not complying with the safety regulations. Passengers are also entitled to a single piece of hand baggage weighing not more than 8 kg. Its dimensions should not exceed 55cm + width 35cm + height 25cm.
Indigo Airlines has been decorated with a number of awards. Some of the most prominent ones include
- The NDTV Profit Business leadership Award for 2009 in aviation category,
- the CNBC AWAAZ Travel Award '09,
- one of the 50 Best Companies to Work for in India by the Great Places to Work Institute in association with the Economic Times in 2009,
- Best Domestic Low Cost Carrier in India for 2008.
Indigo on ixigo
ixigo offers a superfast Search, Compare, and Book directly on IndiGo option for the lowest airfares available on all flights. All you have to do is to select a departure airport and destination airport from the website for routes and schedules. For a real-time flight status, choose your travel dates and specify whether it's a one way or a round trip ticket. ixigo.com guarantees the lowest possible airfare to all its users. We also have an extremely fun slider bar to navigate across the website and choose flexi timings in case you want to customize your travel timings. This is your one stop destination for the best prices which include all current deals and discounted fares. It's also very easy to view/modify bookings on ixigo.com if there is a sudden and unexpected change in your travel plans. ixigo.com redirects users to the official website of IndiGo airlines for cheapest flight bookings so you know you are getting the best possible deal.
Disclaimer: It is strongly recommended that travellers cross check the information provided here with the airline website or other official sources.