For longer distances, India Railways is one of the best means to carry your pets. It is convenient, safe and affordable.
हिंदी में पढ़ें
Even though travelling with pets on a train in India is cheap, it can get confusing if you are not aware of the rules and regulations attached to it.
In Indian Railways terminology, pets are categorised as “luggage” and there are regulations that apply to their travel.
Here are a few rules you must know:
1. For carrying dogs, there are two travel options available. A dog can be taken in a coupe (2 berths) or a cabin (4 berths) of a train in A.C. First Class or Non-A.C. First Class. No pets are allowed in AC Sleeper Coaches, AC chair car coaches and second class coaches.
2. If the fellow passengers object to the presence of a dog in the train compartment, dogs must travel in the specially designed boxes in the luggage van.
3. Once your tickets are booked, you must write to the Chief Commercial Officer explaining your case of travelling with a pet. This will ensure that you are allotted a coupe or a cabin and not any random berth.
Planning a vacation? Book with us:Search Trains
4. Pet parents must carry collars and chains for their pets. Also, it’s the parents’ responsibility to arrange for their pet’s food and water.
5. If you have a large dog, it must be carried in a special vehicle at the same rates and conditions as for horses.
Please note: For carrying a dog on the train, one must contact the Parcel Office of their boarding station. Depending on the size of the dog, a payment of Rs.10 and above will be charged and you will be provided with a booking slip. This slip is necessary for the conveyance of your pet.