PNR is a 10-digit number which stands for Passenger Name Record. It is a unique number that is assigned to every booked train ticket by Indian Railways. PNR Status means the current status of booked train ticket i.e. whether it is confirmed, waitlisted or RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation). It provides passenger's basic information like name, age & sex, date of the journey, train details and ticket booking status. Some other travel details like coach number, berth number and berth type are provided only if the booked ticket status is CNF (Confirmed). There are limited seats available in a train so its not possible to provide confirm ticket for every booking. Indian Railway train ticket booking system provides CNF (Confirmed) and RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation) status when tickets are available and the bookings made after that are provided waitlisted status. Waitlisted tickets gets confirmed in order only if any of CNF/RAC ticket gets cancelled. Especially when you have a waitlisted ticket, tracking the indian railway pnr status live becomes even more necessary. At ixigo, you can easily check PNR Status to access the latest information of your booked ticket. It saves you a lot of hassles, indeed.
PNR Status Check
Enter 10-digit PNR number in above search box and enter "Search PNR". It will provide the current PNR status of your booked train ticket with passenger and train details. For the tickets booked via Indian Railways reservation counters you could find the pnr number at top left corner of the ticket. PNR of the tickets booked online(e-tickets) could be seen at top center of your ticket.
PNR Status Enquiry Via App
Download ixigo's Indian Rail Train PNR Status App, and get real time updates about your PNR Status Enquiry. Along with this, you also get access to your reservation booking status, platform number, coach position, and more.
Train PNR Status Check Via SMS
You can send a text to Indian Railways number 139 for PNR Enquiry. Just type the 10 digits (without hyphen) and send it to 139. You can also send the sms to 5676747. You would get the updated PNR information in your phone inbox. Please note that the text you send costs you Rs. 3 per sms.
What is PNR?
PNR is a unique number assigned to booked tickets to a record in the railway database known as The Centre of Railway Information Systems or CRIS. The database assigns this unique PNR number with every passenger details entered while booking ticket . Every PNR number could include maximum of six passengers only. Whenever a train ticket is booked online, through travel website or ticket counter, this unique number is provided to every ticket.
What does a PNR number explains?
PNR number holds various information related to the train journey.
- Passenger Details - Name, Age, Sex, Birth Preference
- Ticket Details - Train Number, Date of Journey, Origin/Source Station, Destination Station, Boarding Station, Class, Berth, Quota
- Fare, Transaction Type and Payment Details
- First 3 digits tell us from which Passenger Reservation System or PRS the ticket has been booked.
- First digit depends on Zone of the Train, w.r.t. starting station of the train.
- Zonal Codes - 1 (SCR Secunderabad PRS); 2, 3 (NR, NCR, NWR, NER New Delhi PRS); 4, 5 (SR, SWR, SCR Chennai PRS); 6, 7 (NFR, ECR, ER, ECoR, SER, SECR Calcutta PRS); 8, 9 (CR, WCR, WR Mumbai PRS)
- Last seven digits are randomly generated numbers using the Rand() function. These numbers represent no information about the ticket or journey as such. They only provide an unique identity to the PNR number.
How to enquire PNR status?
Open https://www.ixigo.com/pnr-status-enquiry, enter your PNR number, click check status. Other ways to enquire PNR status are:
- Current reservation status check using SMS
- Mobile applications
- Railway enquiry counters at railway station
- Final reservation charts
- SMS Service - SMS PNR send to 139
- Railway Enquiry Number - Call 139
What is PNR confirmation probability?
PNR confirmation probability means the chances of getting ticket confirmed if the current status is "Not Available" and also it depends on the number of cancellations done. It also relies on factors like weekends, season, festivals, special events, among other factors.
Indian Railways PNR FAQS
Q. What is PNR status?
If there is CNF on your ticket, you have got a confirmed ticket. WL on the PNR number means that your ticket is on the waiting list and your ticket will be confirmed if someone decides to cancel their booking. If the chart is prepared and your PNR status still shows WL, you can not board the train.
Q. How to Check PNR Status Online?
- Go to ixigo website or download the ixigo train app.
- Click on "PNR Status" button.
- Enter your 10 digit PNR number and search.
- You will get your booked train ticket current status along with passengers details.
Q. How to check PNR status on a phone?
- Type "PNR (10-digit PNR Number)" and send it to 139.
- Type "PNR (10-digit PNR Number)" and send it to 5676747.
Q. What is ticket confirmation probability?
Q. What is a PNR Number?
Q. Can we check PNR status of an old trip?
Q. Where do I find PNR in an E ticket?
Q. Can you explain RLGN PNR Status?
Q. How to check the status of waiting list?
Types of PNR Status
There are different PNR status types provided by Indian Railway after train ticket booking is done. A 10-digit PNR number is issued which is printed on the top-left corner of the ticket (or e-ticket) itself. You can also find it in the text message (sms) that is sent to your mobile number after you book a train ticket.
- CNF - It means confirmed. The ticket status shows as CNF when seats are confirmed.
- RAC - It stands for Reservation Against Cancellation meaning the train ticket has a confirmed seat but wait-listed berth. If the tickets are booked under RAC status, then the allocated berth has to be split into two seats.
- CAN - It means Cancelled i.e. ticket has been cancelled.
- WL - Waiting List is a ticket status that gets confirmed only if the passengers on the same train who have booked before you cancel their ticket.
- GNWL - General Waiting List. The probability of this ticket status getting confirmed is very high.
- PQWL - Pooled Quota Waiting List status is issued when a passenger is travelling from the origin station to a station short of the last station, or from an intermediate station to the last station, or between any two intermediate stations.
- RLWL - Remote Location Waiting List means a ticket has been issued to a passenger for intermediate stations (between the origin and terminating station). These intermediate stations are usually the most important towns on the route in particular.
- TQWL - Tatkal Quota Waiting List. This is the waiting list for tatkal tickets. The tickets in Tatkal get confirmed directly, instead of going through RAC. However during chart preparation GNWL is preferred over TQWL.
- NOSB - It stands for NO SEAT BERTH which means journey is allowed without seat. This is allotted to child passengers below age 11 years.